Thursday, August 4, 2011

10/7/09 Changes

I'm not a huge fan of change.  I can see that I've passed this trait on to my daughter.  The poor thing.  I like routine.  Fall is a very hard time in our house.  New teachers, new schedules, new places to be on new days.  I am forever worrying that until I get the new routine stuck in my head, we are going to forget something.  It's bound to happen, but I still feel like crap when it does.  So far this year, I don't think we've forgotten anything.  Well, anything too important anyways.

Morgan feels the anxiety of change just as much as I do.  there are always tears the night before she tries something new, goes over to a new friend's house, or her routine gets altered too much.  She gets herself so worked up, that she talks herself into vomiting.  Ugh.  This is not a fun thing to go through as a parent.  I understand the nervous feelings she's having, but if I feed into them, it will get worse, not better.  I don't want her to think I don't understand or care though.  I just hope she doesn't ever realize that if she throws up in the morning, she technically shouldn't be in school for the day.  Stinker.  I see myself in her every. single. day. and it scares the crap outta me.  The teenage years should be a barrel o' fun!

Nate and I were fortunate enough to go on our annual trip to Lutsen this past weekend with some great friends, while the kids went and stayed in Brainerd with Nate's parents.  This is one of my very favorite things we do every year.  There is just something about the time of year on the shore of lake Superior with friends.  We have a bonfire on the rocks on the shore, huge home cooked meals with good wine, and lots of relaxing, playing games, and enjoying each other's company.  A hike through the woods this time of year always gets me giddy.  For some odd reason, the smell of rotting leaves on the forest floor is a smell I could never get sick of!  Our weekend was rolling along perfectly until we got the call that Morgan was homesick to the point of throwing up.  We were told she'd be fine, but they might be making the trip back to Duluth earlier than planned and spend time at our house instead of their house in Brainerd.  *biiiiiig siiiiigh*  The next call came a half hour later, and she was sleeping and all was well.  Except my worry meter went up a few hundred notches.  I truly believe this is the universe getting back at me for doing these very same exact things to my mom when I was younger.  Buggah.

Stupid universe.

NH

No comments:

Post a Comment