Saturday, December 15, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree!

Before I begin telling you about our trip out to the Pine Knob Tree Farm to get our Christmas tree, I feel that it's necessary to express my sadness, horror, shock, disbelief, and sorrow for anyone affected by the recent events at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut yesterday morning.  As a mother of two, I cannot even pretend to begin to understand what those families are feeling today.  I hugged my kiddos a little longer and harder yesterday when they got home from school.  I truly hope the healing will begin soon, and the hurt they are feeling will begin to fade.
 
Now, on with the story.
The Saturday after Thanksgiving, we went to a local tree farm to hunt for our tree.  Morgan said these ones were too big.  Probably a good call, Morgs.
 
These are probably more our size!
 
This tree farm is just the cutest place.  We've been coming here for the past 5 or 6 years.
 
This cute little log house has hot cocoa and cider after you've completed your trek through the woods to help you get some feeling back in your limbs.
 
It was a really pretty day - lots of good photo ops!
 
So we bundled up and headed on our way to find just the right one.
 
"Over the river and through the woods..."
 
 


 
We found one that was nice and full but not too tall, because we certainly wouldn't want the dang thing too big or it might tip over in our living room after it's all decorated.  No, we surely wouldn't want that.
 
The nice man with the saw came and took 'er down for us.
 
While the men did the heavy lifting to get the tree into the truck, I took the opportunity to snap some more pictures.  (sorry for the duplicate on this one from a post a few weeks ago - I just love it!)
 
I love our family traditions.  I know the kids look forward to coming here every year.
 
And when I get to take pictures of them in good moods, and blog about a special day we had together, it makes me realize that all is right.  I can't believe these two are getting so big, right before my eyes. 
 
Methinks this might be the last year for this tradition.  Waaaah.  (I hate that the picture of this moment that turned out the best was one where I used the flash, but please take a moment to enjoy the carefully placed reflection in the mirror over the fireplace!  hehe)
 
I really am loving this Christmas season.  The stress is at a minimum this year - I don't have many knitted gifts that I'm giving this year, so I'm not in a huge time crunch to get that done.  Of course there are some other hand-made goodies that are in progress, but I think they are in good shape, and the shopping is under way.  I think the fact that there is a good covering of snow on the ground is helping the spirit this year.  I'm really really looking forward to the upcoming time off of work.  I need a break BAD!
 
Hope you are enjoying the season too!
 
 
 
XOXOX

NH

No comments:

Post a Comment