Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Perspective

Seven weeks and four days after Dad died, mom got a call from her doctor that she has Acute Myelogenous Leukemia.

Seriously universe?  What.  The.  Heck.

This whole stupid thing has hit the family like yet another ton of bricks has been dropped on us. 

I've waited a week to write anything about it here, partially so we could tell a few people in person, but mostly so I could take a little time to get a grip and understand what is happening a little bit.  I've begun to break the surface on everything there is to learn about this stupid disease, but I'm still left with 87 million questions.  Most of them can't be answered by any doctors.

In a nutshell, mom went to the doc last Monday afternoon because she thought there was a possibility she had pneumonia.  After a few chest X-rays and a blood draw to be sent for further testing, she left with a positive diagnosis of pneumonia and anemia and a prescription for an antibiotic.  They told her they'd call her the next day with any further results and instructions.  Little did she know that her instructions would include a referral to an oncologist.

I went with her on Thursday to talk to the doctor to figure out a treatment plan going forward.  Together we chose the one we felt would be the best for her, and she got her first dose of chemotherapy on Monday.  Talk about a whirlwind!

Right now we are all trying to stay positive, and believe that we will have lots and lots of years with her still here folding her plastic grocery store bags neatly into little squares, and calling ME to ask me knitting and crocheting questions.  (I LOVE when she does that!! HA!) 

I guess we need to feel fortunate that this wasn't thrown on us 4 months ago in the midst of Dad's illnesses.  It's hard right now to feel fortunate about much, but I am trying. 

My sister, Erin, has organized a team for the local Relay for Life event for the American Cancer Society for the past 5 years, even though cancer hadn't touched our family so closely until now.  I have participated in the event in the past, but this year I'm going ALL IN and making this count.  The relay is Friday, July 19th and I will be raising money to fight this right up until that date.  If you feel so inclined, please go to my fundraising page HERE and make a tax deductable donation to the American Cancer Society.  Right now I'm only $5 away from reaching my first fundraising goal of $100!  Will you go donate $5?  $10?  more???  Please?  I want to blow that goal out of the water.  YOU can help me do it.

In case you missed it, HERE IS THE LINK.  Just clicky right on those words and it will bring you right to a little old form to fill out.  Easy peasy.

Thank you to those that have already donated, and to those that are thinking about it!  Remember what I said before, I'm a total hugger, and I need every single one I can get these days.  Because this all sucks.  Big time.  And hugs help.  So do prayers.

There is so much crap in the world that just doesn't matter.  People and family matter.

Now I'm gonna go read and re-read my last post about good stuff in the world over and over a few times.

Looooooooove to you all!

XOXOX

NH

1 comment:

  1. You didn't say the prognosis. More chemo? Radiation? What do the next few weeks bring? Is she sick more than pneumonia?

    ReplyDelete