Monday, July 21, 2014

How was your weekend?

Mine was jam packed to the brim.  And even overflowed a bit.  There were things scheduled for this weekend that I sadly had to miss.  I hate missing stuff.  Especially when it's stuff that your kids are doing that you have to miss.

Andy was in a hockey tournament in town.  He was the backup goalie for Team Northwest.  The weekend started out with a game at 10AM on Friday morning.  This was an AAA tournament, where most of the teams were fairly established, but our boys were from all over the country, and for the most part had never even met each other.  We had a few from Marquette, MI, a few from Arizona, one even from Oregon!  There were three other Hermantown boys on our team that Andy has known forever.


These pictures are from Saturday, but you can pretend that it doesn't matter.


This picture is from warmups, so you can also pretend that the fact that the puck is in the net behind Andy doesn't really matter either.  The tournament was a bit of a struggle for our boys, and we didn't come out the winner at the end of any of our 4 games, but it was very fun to get to know some new people, and Andy had a blast.


Friday evening, Nate and Andy headed to another game that I had to miss, while Morgan and I headed up to St. Scholastica and participated in the Relay for Life.  This was my third Relay.  Definately a cause near and dear to my heart.  I thought a lot about mom on Friday night and how much I miss her.  We got to hear one survivor's story about how she's living with her cancer diagnosis and how it has changed her life, and we got to hear from an oncologist from St. Luke's tell his story about why he does what he does.  Great speakers, and great messages!



The luminary bags are so pretty (even though it never fails that at least a few will completely go up in flames before the night is done) and I love how they line our path and have deep meaning for so many.


An action shot!  :)

If you are my friend on Facebook, you probably saw my request on Friday morning for anyone wanting me to make an honorary lap for you or someone you know who was touched by cancer.  It was SO sad how many requests I got.  I HATE that this disease has affected so many people.  In fact, just last week one of Andy's past hockey teammates from Hermantown went to show his mom some lumps in his armpits.  A few scans and surgeries later, he has been diagnosed with Leukemia.  He is 13 and one of the sweetest boys I know.  He is young and otherwise healthy, so I have no doubt that he will fight through this and come out on the other side hitting home runs, scoring goals, and doing everything he wants to.  It has been amazing to see our community rally and show him support in just one short week.  We love you Cade!  I made a special lap around the track for Cade, as well as all of the other requests from you all.


In the middle of the Relay walk, Cassie, Morgan and I took a break to head down to the DECC and catch Les Mis put on by our local playhouse.  What a great show!  After the show, we headed back to the Relay to finish out our walk.  We didn't stay the entire night, but even with the break in the walk for the play, I still managed to squeeze in 8 full miles before we left at about 2AM.

Now, a good blogger would have continued to take pictures throughout the rest of the weekend events.  I, however, did not.  I'm sorry.  I will just have to tell you about it.

Saturday morning we got up by 6 and left the house for an 8AM hockey game in Cloquet.  This was after approximately 3 hours of sleep.  SHEESH!  Sleep was my main priority after that game, and sleep I did.  Just in time to get up and go to another hockey game that afternoon.  We were supposed to go to an annual Summerfest party with a band that night, but I was so tired and just needed to get to know my couch a little better that night, so we opted to stay in.

Sunday morning we managed a few loads of laundry (that are still sitting in folded piles in the living room, thankyouverymuch) and then Morgan and I buzzed off to see the second play of the weekend, (Pippin - which my sis and bro-in-law were playing in) (also another AWESOME show!) made a quick stop at Chilly Billy's (yep, that was my dinner) and I dropped Morgan off at the studio so she could rehearse and then perform with The Tap Project (a SUPER cool tap dance idea that her teacher came up with) down on the lakewalk!  I had to miss the performance so I could head to baseball and see our friends, the Hacketts, who had driven down from Canada to go visit Cade!  So cool to see them!

After baseball, I went home and collapsed.  And I wonder why the weekends zip by.

We have baseball tournaments for the next two weekends, and then the annual Hooper Family Softball tournament the weekend after that.

My life is fu-uuullll.  It makes me happy.

What did you do??

XOXOX

NH


4 comments:

  1. We'll just have to do tap project again so you can come see it :)
    Sounds like a full weekend- maybe you get time to recover this week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying Katie! I've decided that sleep is a good thing, and I happen to need it. haha! Yes, can't wait for the next tap project performance!

      Delete
  2. I just love you and your family so much!!!

    ReplyDelete